Saturday, September 23, 2017

BRIDGET O'FLAHERTY, SAQA Artist from Perth, ON invites you to visit her at Dunn Sohn's studio on the weekend of October 7 and 8th, 2017! Hope to see you there!


Bridget O’Flaherty
Fiber Art

My life in the fibre art world launches off the historical significance of needle work in our Country. Quilting can be seen in Canada’s history from early settler days and sewing, beading, textiles and fibre art reach back to times long before that with Indigenous peoples’ traditions. Textiles have often been associated with women as a utilitarian contribution, and for a long time it was the only accepted outlet for art for women. It was imported from other lands, adapted, evolved and integrated into our culture of today.

I strive to contribute to the evolution of fibre art in Canada. I learned traditional quilting from my mother over 25 years ago, but I had always been drawn to natural landscapes and exploring the blend of contemporary fibre art techniques with the traditions of quilting.I utilize layers of thread for shading effects, much like pencil crayon or pen and ink, stitching techniques, traditional piecing of fabric and quilting techniques to convey my landscape art. I search out hand dyed fabric and develop original designs through free form embroidery on a domestic sewing machine.

My current work explores the use of organic materials and natural, hand dyed, organic fabrics. My art quilts are inspired by nature, biodiversity, and I look to connect the viewer with the landscape, introducing the fragile aspects of our environment like species at risk, native and invasive species, traditional and historically significant crafts to open a conversation and reflection on these critical issues.

bridget@threadpaintedart.com
threadpaintedart.com
@ecothreadart on social media

Bridget will be at the Dunn Sohn Studio - #1 on the Tour Map

To see the complete participant list and map click here




www.perthstudiotour.com

Map: http://www.perthstudiotour.com/mapandparticipants.html


Bridget O'Flaherty at work - come visit!